Humour Archive

Scraps of humour research presented here for your consumption. Comments welcome.

Monday, August 14, 2006

Nonsequitur

The meaning of the above can be found in the comments of TimT's 'nonsequitur' post over at willtypeforfood. I was so entertained by his description of character #4 (of the same name), that I have linked it here for your enjoyment/perusal/brain-hurtiness.

Thanks TimT!

This is nonsense humour at its finest. It reminds me of the childhood stanza:

"Ladies and Gentlemen [sometime pronounced 'Jellybubbles' or 'Jellybeans'],
I come before you to stand behind you,
to tell you something I know nothing about.
On Monday which is Good Friday,
there will be a mothers' meeting for fathers only.
Admission is free,
pay at the door;
Bring your own seats
and sit on the floor"

There's another one about going downstairs to clean the attic, but it escapes me at present.

3 Comments:

Blogger TimT said...

Cheers!

My favourite was that old 'One fine day' one:

'One fine day in the middle of the night
Two dead men got up to fight ...'

The really good thing about that one was the way it worked in a joke into every line, but still had a clear narrative.

'Back to back they faced each other,
Drew their swords, and shot each other.'

A good trick - if you can pull it off.

5:13 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, I remember that one. cool.

You managed to pull it off pretty well in your #4 description.

3:34 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does ne1 know where i can find a copy of that poem.. "one fine day, in the middle of the night... etc" I typed the first few lines on google & it got me to here.. Anyways, if anyone knows of it, please foward it 2 miss_meliss01@hotmail.com with OXYMORON as the subject. xx Melissa

8:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home