Humour Archive

Scraps of humour research presented here for your consumption. Comments welcome.

Name:
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Monday, August 14, 2006

Nonsequitur

The meaning of the above can be found in the comments of TimT's 'nonsequitur' post over at willtypeforfood. I was so entertained by his description of character #4 (of the same name), that I have linked it here for your enjoyment/perusal/brain-hurtiness.

Thanks TimT!

This is nonsense humour at its finest. It reminds me of the childhood stanza:

"Ladies and Gentlemen [sometime pronounced 'Jellybubbles' or 'Jellybeans'],
I come before you to stand behind you,
to tell you something I know nothing about.
On Monday which is Good Friday,
there will be a mothers' meeting for fathers only.
Admission is free,
pay at the door;
Bring your own seats
and sit on the floor"

There's another one about going downstairs to clean the attic, but it escapes me at present.

3 Comments:

Blogger TimT said...

Cheers!

My favourite was that old 'One fine day' one:

'One fine day in the middle of the night
Two dead men got up to fight ...'

The really good thing about that one was the way it worked in a joke into every line, but still had a clear narrative.

'Back to back they faced each other,
Drew their swords, and shot each other.'

A good trick - if you can pull it off.

5:13 pm  
Anonymous Hooch said...

yeah, I remember that one. cool.

You managed to pull it off pretty well in your #4 description.

3:34 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does ne1 know where i can find a copy of that poem.. "one fine day, in the middle of the night... etc" I typed the first few lines on google & it got me to here.. Anyways, if anyone knows of it, please foward it 2 miss_meliss01@hotmail.com with OXYMORON as the subject. xx Melissa

8:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home