Humour Archive

Scraps of humour research presented here for your consumption. Comments welcome.

Thursday, June 22, 2006

double entendre - a (hopefully) highly illustrative and (almost) completely humourless explanation

I have no idea why a site called "absolute astronomy" would have a 'double entendre' section, but seeing as it explains the joke in my first post in great detail (not to mention my astronomy minor has given me a fondness for the sport [yes, that's right Sport. Astronomy is a sporty as I get!]), I thought I'd paste it here to waylay any confusion:

WARNING: SPOILER ALERT!
'Most double entendres in popular usage are sexual in nature. The following sentence illustrates, "A woman walked into a bar and asked for a double entendre, so the barman gave it to her." The sentence could mean either that the barman gave her an example, or that he had sexual intercourse with her.'

I also thought I'd include a somewhat ironic definition found at answers.com which made me chuckle:

'The noun double entendre has one meaning:
Meaning #1:
an ambiguity with one interpretation that is indelicate'

If you need an explaination of 'irony' (and no, it doesn't mean 'a bit like iron') you'll have to beg me in the comments section. Or just watch Reality Bites.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Double entendre has one meaning, just as;
Stutter has a double‘t’ in it,
Lisp has an ‘sp’ in it,
and Abbreviation is a very long word.

Also does Alanis Morisette still perform "Ironic" even though it's been pointed out to her that none of her examples are truly ironic?
...Go check it out they really arn't.

Adam

11:42 am  
Blogger Keri said...

Or accept the fact that you're American....

Nice to see you've joined the ranks, Hooch!

10:33 am  
Blogger Hooch said...

I'm American? Well, seeing as i'm so extremely dense that i don't understand your comment, maybe i am!

Thanks for stopping by Kez.

9:36 pm  
Blogger Keri said...

No, no, I was saying that Americans in general don't know what Irony is, or understand it. They mistake con-incidence for Irony constantly... sorry. Should have been more clear!

11:22 pm  
Blogger Hooch said...

ahhhhhhh. gotchya. yes, you have a true point indeed if Alanis is anything to go by...

11:54 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

... you should read the Lego Bible.
:)

10:34 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ARGH!
Your blog has comments at the BOTTOM not at the top of each post!
SO my comments are in the wrong places!
Sorry!!!

10:36 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home