Humour Archive

Scraps of humour research presented here for your consumption. Comments welcome.

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Cartoons as Blasphemy

In his article, Open Debate: The Righteousness of Blasphemy, Peter Fosl argues the importance of blasphemy as a legitimate form of expression. He comments that 'transgressive cartoons, ridicule, humour, and even swearing' can be used as blasphemic devices.

I am including here links to a couple of cartoons I've found using humour and religion. Whether they are combining these two to be blasphemous....I'll leave it to you, the reader, to decide. Bear in mind, however, that some people have been offended by these cartoons, though there is no intent to offend by my linking them here.

The Second Coming
This cartoon is by Brendan Powell Smith, also the creator of the Brick Testament. This cartoon stars Jesus, God (who looks like a close relative of Mr. Potatohead), Brendan Powell Smith, along with some other characters. I have also linked to this page in the side bar for easier access later.

Jesus and Mo
I found this site a while ago when I was researching Mohammed cartoons (we all remember the scandal when the Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten published cartoons of Mohammed [NB. there are images of Mohammed on this link]). I find some of these cartoons funny, some quite crude/borderline offensive. The first cartoon was particularly poignant to the issue at hand.

4 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

'Jesus & Mo' is very funny. My fav religious one is: www.jesusandmo.net/2006/01/16/word

The comic makes fun of all religion but at other times is simply funny in its own right - Jesus and Mohammad could be any two mates having amusing conversations. There is something very 'buddy movie' about it.

On the funny but blasphemous (which I assume is another word for 'insulting' specific to religions) front here is a site you may want to look at: www.jhuger.com/kisshank.php

"...come kiss Hank's ass with us..."

10:12 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

daniel- that's fantastic, I love the thinly disguised mockery.

2:17 pm  
Blogger Hooch said...

I've just linked jhuger. there are some interesting things if you browse around. but it also hints of 'americanesque' that i'm not sure sits well with me....

6:59 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also worth checking out is Red Meats (theonion.com) pieces on God and his priest. The poor guy can't get a break, especially when God starts using hand puppets.
Naomi.

5:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home